So we are clear about the terminology we are using, when we use the phrase “Personal Information”, we mean contact information (i.e., name, address, email address, and/or telephone number) and any other non-public information that is used or intended to be used to personally identify an individual, and information associated with the foregoing. When we use the phrase “Anonymous Information”, we mean information that is not associated with or linked to Personal Information. Anonymous Information does not enable identification of or contact with, individual persons.
HOW WE COLLECT INFORMATION
Personal Information and End User Information
We receive and store information you voluntarily provide to us (either through the Site or in some other way). When you register with us, we require you to provide certain Personal Information, such as your name, mailing address, phone number and email address, as well as information related to the company with which you are affiliated. You may choose as part of certain Services to provide additional Personal Information. For example, if you are a Developer creating your public profile on the Site (“Profile”), you may choose to provide your photograph.
One type of Personal Information we will collect when you purchase Services as a Developer is “Payment Information”, which means the information necessary to process your order. Payment Information may include the following: (i) your name as it appears on the credit card; (ii) the credit card type (VISA, MasterCard, American Express or any other issuer accepted by us); (iii) a valid credit card number; (iv) the date of expiration of your credit card; (v) your billing address; and (vi) any activation numbers or codes needed to charge your card. If you authorize recurring charges for Fees, we will store your Payment Information. However, we may offer alternative means of paying for orders such as PayPal, through which Kinvey will not collect any Payment Information from you.
In addition, we collect Personal Information when you provide it through your participation in discussion forums. Any information that you post in our discussion forums, including your Personal Information, may be disclosed and available to all Users of that webpage and is no longer private. Other Users of the Site may use that information at their discretion, including to contact you. Please be thoughtful about what you post and make publicly available through our discussion forums and reviews. When you communicate with us through our Site or by sending us an email, we may collect and store any information that is contained in your communications with us.
We collect Third Party API Access Protocols as provided in the Section headed Our Relationship with Social Networking Sites and Third Party Data Providers.
In addition, if a Developer collects and submits to us information of End Users, either through an App or otherwise, we may receive and store such information (“End User Information”). End User Information collected through Apps may include, but is not limited to, the following, which may be Personal Information of such End Users:
- Information about End Users, including name, address, gender, age, marital status, photograph, in-App purchase history, survey responses, and preferences.
- Information about a mobile device, including universally unique ID (“UUID”), platform type and version (iOS v4, Android, etc.), carrier and country location, hardware and processor information (storage, chip speed, camera resolution, NFC enabled, and network type (WiFi, 2G, 3G, 4G).
- Sensory and other information collected through a mobile device, including accelerometer data, lock phone on/off, power on/off, airplane mode on/off, number of SMS/MMS messages, number of calls and duration, camera usage, speaker usage, Bluetooth usage, NFC usage, and GPS location data
- Information about App usage, including user App retention data, session length, and session interval.
We work with online partners and advertisers to help manage and optimize our Internet business and communications and offer third party products and services to you. To do this, we or our partners or advertisers may use web beacons, clear GIFs and Cookies on this Site. The information collected in this way helps us learn things like what kinds of Users our Site attracts, which of our products most interest our Users, and what kinds of offers our Users like to see.
Our Relationship with Social Networking Sites and Third Party Data Providers
We have created and may offer you interfaces that allow you to connect with social networking websites such as Facebook and Twitter (“SN Sites”) through our Site. We will work with the SN Site’s application protocol interface (better known as their developer API) in a way that allows you to authorize us to access your account on that SN Site on your behalf. In order to provide this authorization, you will not provide us with your user ID or password to the SN Site, but you will need to log-in to that SN Site directly through our Site. Once authorized by you, the SN Site will provide us a token that allows the SN Site to recognize us when we ask, on your behalf, for access to your account information or to post information. You will be able to revoke our access to any SN Site at any time by amending the appropriate settings from within your account settings on the applicable SN Site, though such revocation may limit the Services we are able to provide you.
In addition to accessing your SN Site accounts through Developer APIs, we may also offer interfaces that allow Developers to connect with APIs for SN Sites as well as other third party data providers in a manner that allows a Developer to retrieve data from such third parties for inclusion in a Developer’s App, for example Facebook or Yahoo! Maps (collectively, “Third Party Data Providers”). We may connect Apps to such APIs using the token method discussed above or we may require that a Developer provide us the applicable API key, user name, password or other method of authentication (the “ Third Party API Access Protocols”). The Third Party API Access Protocols will be disclosed and used in the same manner as Personal Information, with the understanding that they will not be used to market any products or services.
HOW WE USE INFORMATION
Personal Information and End User Information
We will use Personal Information, including End User Information to:
- Administer Accounts;
- Process your payments, provide the Services and customer support;
- Tailor the features of the Site or Services to you;
- Respond to requests, resolve disputes and/or troubleshoot problems;
- Market our Services and products to our Users and those of third parties we believe may be of interest to our Users, including through the serving of targeted advertisements, though we will not disclose your Personal Information in doing so. For example, we allow advertisers to choose the characteristics of Users who will see their advertisements and we may use any of the non-personally identifiable attributes we have collected to select the appropriate audience for those advertisements. For example, if you tend to view and automobile-related content, we might use that interest to show you ads for automobiles (and to tell ad networks to serve those ads), but we do not tell any automobile maker who you are, though the dealer or manufacturer may learn that you possess certain characteristics based on the fact that you received the advertisement. We may do this on the site, in the Apps and on other websites on the internet.
- Market services and products to your End Users, in a manner similar to the method used for Users described above, but only if you choose to add advertising capabilities to your App;
- Improve the quality of the Site and the Services;
- Communicate with Users about the Site and the Services, and
- Showcase the Personal Information you include in your Profile, if you elect to create one, to other Users.
We also use Personal Information to contact you and provide you with information that may be useful or interesting to you, including newsletters regarding changes and upgrades to the Services as well as promotional e-mails, and to allow certain other entities to do the same. By using the Site, you agree to receive this information from us and certain other entities. If you do not want to receive these communications, you can always opt out of communications by following the instructions provides in the email or by emailing us at firstname.lastname@example.org. We may, however, send certain administrative emails which pertain to the Site and Services on a regular basis that you may not opt-out of.
We may also use Personal Information to create Anonymous Information records by excluding information that makes the information personally identifiable.
DISCLOSURE OF INFORMATION
We may disclose certain Personal Information, including End User Information:
- To third party vendors who help us provide the Services or the Site, including vendors that process payments, or who provide or market additional goods and services, in which case we will require such vendors to use such information in accordance with their privacy policies posted on their websites;
- To third parties to whom you ask us to send Personal Information, including where a Developer chooses to integrate a third party’s services or content into an App;
- To other Users, if you create a public Profile.
We reserve the right to disclose Anonymous Information publicly without restriction, including to third party vendors who may help us enhance or provide the Site or Services or to third parties.
Information Disclosed to Third Parties
UPDATING AND CONTROLLING YOUR INFORMATION
If you have an Account with us, you may update certain of your Personal Information on our Site. You may also email us at email@example.com. Please note that even though you may request the deletion of your Personal Information by us, we may be required (by law or otherwise, such as to prevent fraud, resolve disputes, troubleshoot problems, or enforce our Services Agreement) to keep this information and not delete it (or to keep this information for a certain time) in which case we will comply with your deletion request only after we have fulfilled such requirements). When we delete Personal Information, it will be deleted from the active database, but may remain in our archives and we may also retain Anonymous Information about your use of our Services. Once we disclose some of your Personal Information to third parties, we cannot access that Personal Information any longer and cannot force the deletion or modification of any such information by the parties to whom we have made those disclosures.
We employ reasonable physical, electronic and managerial security methods to help protect against unauthorized access to Personal Information. However, no data transmission over the Internet or data storage facility can be guaranteed to be perfectly secure. As a result, while we try to protect your Personal Information, we cannot ensure or guarantee the security of any information you transmit to us, and you do so at your own risk.
LAST UPDATED: July 9, 2012